Harrison Wood's Classical And Orchestral Double Bass Work
"I'm always looking for more freelance work as a double bassist in the Classical and Orchestral World".
I do lots of freelance classical and orchestral double bass work for concerts, recordings and broadcasts throughout the North of England (and beyond). In the past, I've been booked to do work for the likes of the BBC, Westmorland Orchestra, Wigan Choral Society, several Gilbert and Sullivan societies (etc) as well as the RNCM and Halle Youth Orchestra where I'm currently principal double bass.
My playing has gained me some wonderful awards and acolades.
- Awarded the Junior RNCM's most highly prestigious award, 'The Directors Prize'.
- Recipient of Rodney Slatford's 'Yorke Trust Bass Prize For Double Bass' (which I also recieved in 2007).
- Chosen to play in a masterclass with Professor Thomas Martin of the Royal College of Music for the European String Teachers Association conference.
- Gained a scholarship for the Royal Northern College of Music.
My early classical and orchestral experience came through playing double bass at the Royal Northern College of Music as a Junior. I have studied and gained invaluabe experience from my wonderful double teachers (Yi Xin Han, Leon Bosch) and I'm honoured to be studying with the World famous, Czech Philharmonic principal double bassist, Jiri Hudec.
I've played for hundreds of works over the years, some of my favourites include ...
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach ... 'Magnificat'
- George Frideric Handel ... 'Let Their Celestial Concerts All Unite'
- Johann Sebastian Bach ... 'Ascension Oratorio'
- Ottorino Respighi ... 'Pini di Roma' (Pines of Rome)
- Richard Strauss ... Salome's Dance
- Gilbert & Sullivan ... Comic Operetta, 'Ruddigore'
- Maurice Ravel ... 'Scheherazade'
- Edward Gregson ... 'Dream Song'
- Johann Sebastian Bach ... 'Christmas Oratorio'
- Sergei Prokofiev ... 'Romeo and Juliet' (Suite No. 2), Ballet Music
- Hector Berlioz ... An Episode In The Life Of An Artist (aka 'Symphonie Fantastique')
- Franz Schubert ... Symphony No.4' (aka Tragic Symphony)
- Alexander Glazunov ... 'Saxophone Concerto' in Eb major
- Samuel Barber ... 'Adagio For Strings'
- Maurice Ravel ... 'Daphnis et Chloe' (Suite No.2), Ballet Music
- Peter Tschaikowsky ... 'Romeo And Juliet', Fantasy Overture
- Antonin Dvorak ... 'Symphony No.8'
- Bela Bartok ... 'Hungarian Pictures'
- Malcolm Arnold ... 'Welsh Dances'
- Camille Saint-Saens ... 'Dance Macabre'
- Robert Schumann ... 'Symphony No.1' (AKA 'Spring')
- George Butterworth ... 'Banks Of Green Willow'
- Hugo Alfven ... 'Swedish Rhapsody No.1' (AKA 'Midsummer')
- Alexander Glazunov ... 'Autumn' (from 'The Seasons')
- Emile Waldteufel ... 'Skaters Waltz'
- Richard Strauss ... Opera, 'Der Rosenkavalier'
- Joseph Haydn ... 'Symphony 99'
- Gilbert & Sullivan ... Comic Opera, 'Iolanthe'
- Joseph Haydn ... 'Symphony 103' (AKA Drum Roll)
- George Frederick Handel ... Oratorio, 'Messiah'
- Johann Strauss ... Operetta, 'Die Fledermaus'
- Gilbert & Sullivan ... Comic Opera, 'Pirates Of Penzance'
- Ludwig Van Beethoven ... Leonore Overture No.3
- Leonard Bernstein ... 'Chichester Psalms'
- Vaughan Williams ... 'Symphony No. 8'
- Benjamin Britten ... 'Young Person's Guide To The Orchestra'
- Johannes Brahms ... 'Symphony No.2'
... to name but a few.
Halle Youth Orchestra Engagements
I'm principal double bassist for this fine youth symphony orchestra and feel privileged and honoured to be playing with them. We perform regularly at the Bridgewater Hall, the Royal Northern College of Music and around the region and play the same repertoire, from Classical and Romantic orchestral music right through to the scores of today, that's performed by professional orchestras.
I play in several RNCM orchestral ensembles and collectives.
Junior RNCM Engagements
I've played for many concerts at the RNCM Junior school with the various ensembles and orchestras (string orchestra, wind orchestra etc) for performance days.
Westmorland Orchestra Engagements
The Westmorland Orchestra was formed in 1945 and now rehearses and performs in Kendal. The orchestra's made up of over sixty dedicated musicians who give three public concerts a year and is the only symphony orchestra in the area able to perform the full range of established symphony orchestral repertoire. Over the years, there's been some notable guest conductors including the likes of Sir Charles Groves and John Hopkins OBE and the orchestra even played a concert before Her Majesty the Queen.
I'm always interested in more freelance double bass work so if you have any questions, please either email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a call on 07706 931810.